The idea for this blog popped into my head during my first day wandering around Mexico City. That day---spent meandering through sylvan parks and down broad boulevards (and accidentally a few traffic-choked highways)--naturally was fantastic and exhausting. And then, I followed it up with another truly lovely, thrilling and draining day. And then another. So what I'm trying to say is: Hoy en El Universal is going to be a misnomer for this first blog post and initial, subsequent ones. I'll publish things late.
Thus, now as Day 3 comes to a close, here are my thoughts on Day 1 in Mexico City y las noticias de El Universal.
Primero: "Belinda subio a su twitter un video donde rompe manzanas con la cabeza"*
So here's my translation of this headline: "Belinda put up on her twitter a video where she breaks apples with her head."
That cannot be right. That must be some kind of Spanish phrase (we've got our own: "How do you like 'dem apples?) Right around the time I discovered this, I also realized I'd lost my only pen. So I went to a little stand, purchased my "Frosty" pink ink writing utensil and then asked the lady behind the counter to please help me understand this Belinda story.
Ah Belinda. She knew Belinda. And now you will too because, well, here she is:
Anyway, the lady said she had not seen the video so she could not verify if the headline was a direct account of Belinda's newest talent or something else (which is what I was leaning toward.) But she did mention that Belinda was a very well-known actress and singer and had been famous since she was una chicanita (little girl). Now, she is a big little girl, 20 years old--clearly mature enough to decide if she wants to turn her scull into an apple cutter, so be it. In other words, I dug up the video:Belinda, so sorry I doubted you.
*2/5/2010, page 14, "Showbis" section
Photo credit: Wikimedia Commons
No comments:
Post a Comment